Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the check-in / check-out time?
- Check-in is at 2:30 P.M. and check-out is at 10:00 A.M. We also provide luggage storage for our guests and will hold your luggage before check-in and after check out.
- What should I do if I will arrive late?
- If your stay plan includes dinner, please arrive at our ryokan by 8:00 P.M. If you won't be able to arrive by 6:00 P.M., please contact us as soon as possible. If your stay plan does not include dinner, please arrive at our ryokan by 11:00 P.M. If you think you will not arrive by 8:00 P.M., please contact us as soon as possible.
- Do you have car parking?
- Yes, parking is available free of charge for our guests. Our parking lot can accommodate 25 passenger cars and 3 large buses. We also have 40 under-roof spaces available for motorcycles. Please contact us in advance if you would like to confirm whether a space will be available during your stay with us. This is especially important for guests wanting more than one parking space per room. Also, please inform the front desk if you would like to use the parking lot before check-in or after check-out.
- Can I smoke in your ryokan and my room?
- Smoking is not permitted in all public areas such as the dining room and coffee space. However, two smoking areas are located inside our ryokan. Smoking is permitted inside rooms. We do not offer non-smoking rooms, however, we can remove most smoke smell by using ozone air purifiers before your arrival. Please indicate your preference when booking so we can have the room ready for you on your arrival, as it is sometimes not possible to change rooms, especially during peak seasons .
- Can I stay with small children?
- Yes. We have available: slippers, a child's chair, a child's yukata (traditional nightwear), and a diaper changing station available for use in the ryokan. When having a meal in the ryokan, children's utensils (spoon and fork), and dishware is also available. Please note that for children with no reserved bed, a set of nightwear, towel, toothbrush and toothpaste is available at the front desk (500 yen plus tax).
- Do you accept credit cards?
- Yes. When making a reservation and paying online you can use a variety of credit cards. However, when paying at Oyado Yamakyu, only Visa and MasterCard are accepted. Please note that if the total cost of your stay is 5000 yen or under, cash-only payment is required. Please contact us if you have any questions.
- Do you keep lost items left at the ryokan?
- Yes. We keep items left by our guests for three months. Please contact us as soon as you realize your item is missing. We are unable to keep food left in rooms or fridge lockers due to the health risk.
- Are pets allowed?
- No. Pets are not allowed inside the ryokan. If you would like your pets to stay in your car, we can arrange a parking space that will be under a roof. However, to ensure this is possible, please let us know when you are making your reservation.
- Can I send my luggage and packages to Oyado Yamakyu in advance of my stay?
- Yes. However, we will only accept luggage and packages sent from your previous accommodation inside of Japan before coming to Oyado Yamakyu. The package should arrive on the day you check-in. Please write the date of your stay and the name used for your Oyado Yamakyu reservation on the shipping slip.
- Can I post luggage or a parcel from your ryokan?
- Yes. If you would like to ship an item inside of Japan, our front desk staff can arrange for shipping via Yamamoto Transport. For more information, please contact our front desk.
- Can I rent a bicycle at your ryokan?
- Yes. Bicycles can be rented for ￥500 a day, and ￥300 yen for a half-day. If your stay with us is for more than three days you can use a bicycle free of charge for 1 day.
- Is there a convenience store (corner shop) near your ryokan?
- Yes. There is a Family Mart store 5 minutes away from our ryokan on foot. Please visit the front desk to receive a map. We have maps available in the following languages: English, French, Spanish, Italian, German, Thai, Chinese, Korean, Hebrew.
- How far in advance can I make a reservation?
- You can make an online reservation 8 months in advance.
- How do I book multiple rooms?
- It is only possible to book two or more rooms at once if the same number of guests are staying in each room. If you would like to book rooms for different numbers of people, you will need to book the rooms separately. If you would like your room to be adjacent or nearby other friends or family members, please use the same telephone number for each reservation.
- What should I do if I want to make a reservation for different stay plans?
- If you would like to have different plans during your stay it is necessary to make a separate reservation for each day. If you use the same phone number for each reservation you will be able to keep the same room during your stay.
- Can I change the number of people in my reservation after I have completed my reservation?
- Yes. Please cancel your booking first, and then make a new booking.
- What should I do if I have not received an email confirmation of my reservation?
The confirmation email is sent automatically to the email address written during the reservation process. If you entered an incorrect email address, or if your email is set not to receive emails from unknown sources, it is possible that you will not receive a confirmation email. Please contact us to receive another confirmation.
- What is your policy for reservation cancellations?
Please refer to the table below:
Number of Days in Advance of Cancellation Amount Charged 3 Days No Charge (100% will be refunded) 2 Days 30% will be charged 1 Day 50% will be charged On the day 80% will be charged No contact Must pay the full amount (No refund)
Rooms and Amenities
- Does each room have a safe?
- Yes. Each room has a safe.
- Does each room have a refrigerator?
- No. None of our rooms have a refrigerator or minibar. However, if you would like to keep food or drinks chilled, a refrigerator locker is available free of charge. Please ask for a key at the front desk.
- What amenities are included in your rooms?
All of our rooms include the following amenities:
- Yukata (traditional nightwear)
- Face towels*
- Bath towels*
- Tooth brush
* Please do not take your bath towels with you when you leave the ryokan. However, you are welcome to take your face towels with you as our gift to you.
- Does each room have a bathroom?
- No. Our ryokan's bathrooms are attached to the spa and are shared.
We also have a shower room that is available to all guests.
- What amenities are available for use in the bathrooms?
- In our bathrooms attached to our spa
- Body wash, Shampoo, Conditioner
- In the changing rooms connected to the bathrooms
- For Men
- Cleanser, Aloe Cream, Cotton swabs, Hair tonic, Hair styling liquid, Hairdryers, Disposable Razors, Diaper Changing Station
- For Women
- Makeup Remover, Cleanser, Toner, Lotion, Cotton pads, Cotton swabs, Aloe Cream, Hairdryers, Diaper Changing Station
* Please take the bath towels and face towel from your room for use in the bathrooms and changing rooms. Please do not take your towels or face towels into the spa water.
- What additional amenities can I get for my room?
- If you need a hair dryer, a disposable comb, a disposable shower cap, iron, or an AC adapter, please ask for them at the front desk. Playing cards, puzzles, reversi (Othello), and other board games for entertainment are also available from the front desk.
- Is the water in the spa natural hot spring water?
- No. Our water is filtered using Maifan stone that contains plenty of micro-nutrient elements, such as calcium, iron, zinc and magnesium, all essential to a healthy human body.
- Is there a computer available for guests to use? Is there internet access available?
- Yes, there is a computer with access to the internet on the 1st floor. Wi-Fi is also available free of charge and accessible anywhere within the ryokan.
- Is there a vending machine in the ryokan?
- Yes. We have beverage vending machines which offer beer, soft drinks, coffee and water. We do not have cigarette vending machines. You can buy cigarettes at the gift shop inside the ryokan.
- Do you have a massage service at your ryokan?
- Yes. A 40 minute massage costs ¥4,400, and we have options for longer massages.
Meals and Dining
- Do you have children's meals?
- We have a children's meal available for children up to the age of 7. For children aged 8 and above, the meals are essentially the same as the adult's menu.
- Do you have room service and can I have my meals in my room?
- No. We do not offer room service, and all meals must be eaten in our dining areas. However, we can bring drinks to your room.
- Do you offer vegetarian meals?
Yes. Please let us know when booking if you would prefer a meat or seafood free meal. Unfortunately, we cannot change your meal on the day you arrive, so please ensure that you let us know in advance.
- Do you offer meals to guests with gluten and soy allergies?
- No. All of our dishes are prepared with soy sauce; therefore it is impossible to remove all soy and gluten. For other food allergies and other intolerances please contact us minimum 1 day prior to your arrival.
- Is the dinner and breakfast menu changed each day?
- Yes. The dinner and breakfast menu is changed daily.
Transportation to Yamakyu
- How do I get to your ryokan from Takayama station?
- It takes about 20 minutes on foot. The road to our ryokan passes through the heart of the old town and the markets. For more information, please see Location and Access.
- Do you have a shuttle service to and from Takayama station?
Yes. We offer a free shuttle service to and from Takayama station. To reserve a shuttle pick up from the station, please check the timetable below and contact us at least one day prior to your arrival. For a shuttle to the station please make a reservation during check in, or by 10 P.M. the night before you check out. The schedule below is subject to change depending on weather and road conditions.
Shuttle Bus Reservation